Every once in a while we need to tame our sweet tooth, and every once in a while we just don’t have the time nor the energy to make something from scratch. That being said, I present to you my Easy Strawberry Cupcakes!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box of White Cake Mix (and whatever ingredients it calls for in the instructions)
- 1 box of Strawberry Flavored Gelatin
- 1 packet of Instant Strawberry Drink Mix
- 2 sticks Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Milk
- Strawberries for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to whatever your box of cake mix calls for, typically 350. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix your cake batter per the instructions on the back of the box. Usually a couple of eggs, some oil, water, and mix.
- Divide the batter between two medium bowls and add your package of strawberry gelatin to one, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- With two different spoons, one for each color of batter, spoon your batter into the prepared cupcake liners. You can layer, do one side white, one side pink, or do overlapping layers. I took a toothpick and swirled mine, making sure not to swirl too much, which would result in losing the white altogether.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or for as long as the instructions say on the back of your cake box (see a theme here?).
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tin and let cool on wire racks until no longer warm.
- For the icing: in a large bowl, or in my case the bowl of my stand mixer, combine your 2 sticks of butter, powdered sugar, and strawberry drink mix. Mix for as long as it takes to get a smooth consistency, adding a teaspoon or so of milk as you see fit during the mixing process.
- Ice the cupcakes, top with a slice of real strawberry, and enjoy!